Thursday, July 21, 2005

Yes, It's Real!


Last year while I was doing a photo session in my "portrait park", I noticed something odd on the side of a walnut tree. It looked almost unreal, more like a cartoon character. I took several photos of it, as it crawled around on the tree. Upon doing some research on the internet, I found that it is the larva of a spicebush swallowtail butterfly! Yes, this thing turns into a butterfly.

Here's a link to a photo of the larva:
http://www.virtualinsectary.com/insects/insect_12.htm

And here's a link to what it looks like once it changes:
http://tamingoftheband-aid.blogspot.com/2005/06/spicebush-swallowtail.html

4 Comments:

Blogger K2 said...

It does look like a cartoon character! Very cool!

7:20 PM  
Blogger K1 said...

That is awesome! It's so cute! I want one... can you get me a pet "larva of a spicebush swallowtail butterfly" for Christmas? :-)

11:32 PM  
Blogger 5kdad said...

K1. . .I'll keep my eye out for another one for you. It would be an early Christmas present, as it would soon become a butterfly.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just making my way through your blog but this is a cool critter

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home