Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Missouri/Kansas Bicycle Trip

On Monday, August 26, I traveled to Joplin, Missouri to visit and bike with my friend, David Summerlin. David is a photographer, and has a studio in Joplin (http://www.summerlinstudio.com/). I always enjoy visiting with David. Not only is he a very talented photographer, but also a great all-around guy. He always has a very positive attitude! David had started biking earlier this year, and had been inviting me to come up some Monday and ride. Was a great ride. Weather could not have been more perfect. We rode west from his studio into Kansas. We finished with a nice 33 mile ride.
Ok, Dave, time to come down and do a ride with me!


Roads look much different than what I usually ride, long straight roads with few hills!
Ok, so it's a bit hard to shoot a photo while riding!
Less than 7 miles into our ride, I had to stop and fix a flat tire on my bike. I hit something in the road that caused the puncture. I think that's the first time I've had to fix a bike flat in 2 or 3 years while on the road! I always carry a few tools, including a patch kit and pump or CO2 cartridges. After a quick stop, it was back on the road again!
Lunch time! Great BBQ pork sandwich at the Smokehouse in Baxter Springs, KS. I love to check out new eating establishments. Always thought it would be fun to do a road trip and not eat at any chain restaurants, just experience the local flavor. This one was a pleasant surprise. Good food. Good Price (less than $6 for pulled pork sandwich and cole slaw). Friendly and fast service!
Hmmm, maybe I should do a big ride and write some sort of "food guide". Could combine 3 of my favorites. . . eating, biking, and photography!

We stopped and did a photo shoot on a bridge on old Route 66, goofed off awhile, just north of Baxter Springs. David's portrait on Route 66 bridge.
This is Russ, a friend of David's, who also likes to bike. The Three Amigos. . .David, myself, and Russ. Camera in "timer" mode.
Another bridge, this one near Riverton, KS. Was a dam in the background. Had to watch for cars, so Russ wouldn't get run over while taking the photo.

Looks like these workers may have been doing repair work on this dam. Looks likes lots of logs have washed over the dam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home