Thursday, October 09, 2008

Sunday Bike Ride - Springfield


Heading west on hwy 186 near Kristy and Jake's home in Rogersville. Wonder roads, with few hills. I met several others on bikes. Someone told me it was a very popular road for area bikers. On the Sequiota Trail, just west of 65 and south of 60. As you can see, it's used by many people, both bikes and walkers/joggers on a nice Sunday!
You wouldn't think from the looks of this wooded area, that it's not much more than a mile to Battlefield Mall!
I stopped for a Dr Pepper slushie at a convenience store, one of my favorites! Can't find those in Carroll County. Takes a while to drink it, so found out it would fit in my second water bottle cage!
The maples showing first signs of fall colors. Should be really pretty in another couple of weeks.
The bike path continues on to western Springfield. This section is just west of Campbell, between the east and west lanes of Sunset.
It was a delight to discover Nathanael Green/Close Memorial Park. Lots of nice landscaping and flowers.
Here's the bike map. I rode from the eastern most point to the western most point (the route marked in green).
Several tunnels go under the highways. Lajunta said this looked like something from X-Files.
More of the winding trail in western Springfield.

We visited Kristy and Jake at their new home in Rogersville this past week end. I threw in my bike, just in case it was a nice day for biking.
It was a wonderful day! I left their home, and rode west on hwy 186. It was a straight shot for several miles. Only one big hill the whole day!
I wasn't really sure where I was going, or where I'd end up, but I had plenty of time to explore. I headed in a general direction towards Springfield, and was pleasantly surprised when I came to Lake Springfield, and the Sequiota Trail. I've ridden it several times. I rode to the far north end of the trail, at Pershing Middle School. I then headed west, following the many "Bike Route" signs. This took me through several residential areas. Traffic was not bad at all.
Beginning to get a bit hungry after noon, I came to Buckingham's BBQ. Enjoyed a BBQ pork sandwich.
I didn't realize the bike trail went to west Springfield. Rode out south of the federal prison, then through Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park.
Passed a parking lot that was having some sort of a car show. Thought I'd ride through it, but seen a sign, "No bicycles". So I turned around and went back on the bike trail. Finally, I came to a dead end and a "No Trespassing" sign.
I turned around, rode back east to National St, then headed south to A&B Cycle (that was some alert riding!). My bike had been making a "popping" noise that I wanted checked out. Before long, going to need to replace some sprockets. I left the bike with them, and Karla and Jason picked me up, and took me back to Kristy's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home